Post Graduation Work Permit

//Post Graduation Work Permit
Post Graduation Work Permit 2017-02-27T02:45:01+00:00
Post Graduate Work Permit Program PGWP

Post Graduation Work Permit PGWP offer students who have graduated from a designated Canadian post-secondary institution University or College (DLI) in Canada an opportunity to gain valuable Canadian skilled work experience to qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class, Provincial nominee programs and express entry.

Post-Graduation Work Permit - Study permits

Post-Graduation Work Permit Program

International students who complete post-secondary education in Canada may be eligible for post graduation work permit for up to 3 years.

Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP) allows students who have graduated from a participating eligible post-secondary institution in Canada to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Graduates with skilled Canadian work experience gained through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program PGWP may be eligible for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class.

Employers seeking to employ Graduates with Post-Graduation Open Work Permit Program (PGWP) open work permit holders are exempt from the requirement to first obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Service Canada. LMIA exemption code C43 is noted on the open work permits issued to the graduates.

A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, for a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, which must be a minimum of eight months in duration.

Post-Graduation Work Permit Eligibility

To obtain a work permit under the PGWP, the graduate student must meet the following requirements:

  • have a valid study permit when applying for the work permit;
  • have continuously studied full time in Canada at a participating institution
  • and have completed a program of study at DLI that is at least eight months in duration;
  • have completed and passed the program of study and received transcript from the DLI educational institution indicating that they are eligible to obtain a degree, diploma or certificate. The educational institution must be one of the following:
    • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade or technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec);
    • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions;
    • a private secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diploma of vocational studies (DVS) or an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS); or
    • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees (i.e., bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, doctorate), but only if the student is enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province, and not in just any program of study offered by the private institution.

Graduate students must apply for an open work permit within 90 days of receiving written certificate (e.g., an official letter or transcript) from the educational institution indicating that they have competed their study program of study and met the requirements for completing their program of study. Calculation of the 90 days begins the day the student’s final transcript marks are issued or the day formal written letter of program completion is received, whichever comes first.



For any questions about the Post-Graduation Work Permit, and to learn how you can stay and work in Canada once your studies are complete, please do not hesitate to contact us.